It’s getting to be that time of the year quickly around the country, for Christmas trees are going up, holiday shopping begins, and we map out our Black Friday plan of action. Between Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday, there could be a lot of packages being delivered to doorsteps between now and Christmas. Don’t become a victim of holiday theft. It can be so easy for packages to just disappear off of your front steps costing you money, time, and causing stress. Here are some easy ways to prevent package thefts this holiday season.
For starters, police in the Livermore area are asking for the public’s help to prevent package thefts this holiday. The Livermore police will be stepping up patrols in order to reduce the number of packages stolen from porches. Tri-Valley residents can also protect themselves with these simple steps.
- Request proof of delivery and signature on all orders. It can be more difficult, especially if you are gone during the day, but if no one is there to sign, the package will simply be returned to the post office or receiving station in town to be picked up upon request.
- Be alert for any criminals following around delivery trucks. If you think you see a crime in progress they asked that you call 911 or citizens can report suspicious behavior by calling 925-371-4987.
- Use smart package lockers or convenience stores for pickup. Amazon will now allow you to pick up your delivery at Amazon locker in our area with a unique code.
- Have packages delivered to your place of business. This allowed, have packages delivered to your workplace, this is also a great way to hide surprise gifts from significant others or children.
- Install security cameras at your front door. There are so many programs out there like NEST and RING that allows you to see who’s at your front door even if you’re not home. You can set up sensors that will trigger a notification on your phone when someone is on your front porch.
- Request a vacation hold if you’re not going to be home. You can also have neighbors or friends check your front porch frequently for any packages and collect them as they come in.
- Get a Package Guard™ for your delivery. Package Guard™ is a Wi-Fi enabled disc that requires the package to be placed on, alerting the customer that a package has been delivered to the house.
- Consider insurance. Ensuring your holiday packages will guarantee reimbursement if unfortunately your delivery was stolen or lost before you get to it.
Have a safe and wonderful holiday this year and then also starts with not having your packages stolen before anyone can even enjoy them. Planning on buying or selling this year? There are so many options around the San Ramon and Livermore area and I’d love to show you some of the newest properties because maybe a new home is on your Christmas list this year.